The Friends of the Library are pleased to operate:
Carriage Barn Books
Carriage Barn Books is a storefront for gently used books. It is located adjacent to the Cazenovia Public Library and operated by the Friends of the Library, and in support of the library.
Carriage Barn Books is possible thanks to the community’s generous book donations. Book donations should be dropped off in the designated area outside the lower entrance of the Library as indicated by signs. Please call in advance if you plan to donate numerous boxes of books. These large quantities should be dropped off in the morning at the Library. Hand trucks and library assistance are available if needed.
We do not accept college textbooks, encyclopedias, or dictionaries.
Friday: 10 am-2 pm
Saturday: 10 am-2 pm
Sunday: 12pm – 4pm
100 Albany St. in Cazenovia (adjacent to the Library)
What You'll Find:
A wide array of genres including Children’s, History, Non-Fiction, Local Interests, Gardening and much more! We even carry homeschool books, board games, and puzzles. Everyone is bound to find something to enjoy in Carriage Barn Books.
History of the Carriage Barn Book barn:
While the John Williams structure in which the Library is housed was built in the 1830s, its accompanying barn wasn’t built until 1858. It was then that William’s son-in-law, E.M. Holmes, a horse dealer, did extensive repairs on the Greek Revival house and added two outbuildings- the well-house and the barn. In 1890, 100 Albany St was purchased by Robert J Hubbard for the Cazenovia Public Library Society and the barn was used by the Library’s caretaker. In the latter half of the 20th century, the barn became the perfect storage location for the Library and the Friends of the Library Book Sale which began in 1978. The barn continued to play an integral part in the FOL’s annual summer sale as one of three sale areas.
In 2018, under the skillful watch of Michael Walker and Expert Builders, the barn underwent extensive restoration and was transformed into the Carriage Barn Books storefront. The renovations, performed with the assistance of the Cazenovia Historic Commission and NYS Historic Preservation Office ensured that the barn’s history was preserved as a new chapter began.